Mount Donna Buang snow cover reports 2017: Warburton VIC
We don't have a snowcam on top of Mt Donna Buang (summit 1250m) - and use resources like Britannia Creek Weather Station for local weather (Yarra Junction - 15 mins from Warburton). Remember mountain conditions can change quickly. This page answers most FAQs.
Last updated: 24 June 2017 Nice pic from the top today (Saturday) at 1pm. Thanks Glenn for posting on our FB page. Sunday looks good for a bit of enjoyment (sightseeing snow, light snow play) if the snow holds around. As we've been saying all week summit temperatures will hover between -1°C to 2°C for the next couple of days before increasing to 2°C to 5°C from Tuesday PM. Could be some more snow late Sunday PM. Remember snow needs cold and wet - and cold and wet on the summit. Conditions can change quickly, and we'll let you know here any reports of new snow. Post your sightings on Warburtoninfo Facebook page. END. Road clearing? Chains? Cost? Driving tips? Dogs? Don Road to Mt Donna Buang closed? See this info below under FAQs.
FAQs, useful links and latest published snow pictures:
Take control of your snow updates and use the simple 3 step process to subscribe to Snowforecast.com email alerts for Mt Donna Buang. It's what everyone does and is a remarkably good indicator of snow. If no one has been up the mountain for a visual sighting everyone is playing guess work, and using same links and tools we network here. Help us help you and others. If you see snow post on WarburtonInfo Facebook or email us. A cracking 2016 season on Mt Donna contributed to this page having over 120 000 visits in just 4 months. BIG THANKS to everyone for sharing picture posts and updates END Be patient and considerate to other drivers.
Warburtoninfo.com was the first to start regular online snow reporting from Mt Donna in 2009. Here are the most useful links we have found:
- Snowforecast.com - their useful link here
- Britannia Creek Weather Station - their useful link here
- EMC and Ajays - snow chain hire and loads of snow gear in Heathmont and Deepdene - their useful link here
- True Value Hardware - Buy toboggans (and childrens gumboots and snow gloves) in Warburton.
- Cortella Homewares - Yarra Junction. A large range of winter gloves, beanies, socks and blankets and selected winter gear to buy.
- Visitors are welcome to bring their own toboggans and snow toys to Mt Donna. See more FAQs below.
- Snow season usually runs into September.
- How to get to Warburton?
Mount Donna Buang snow updates: Check here or post your picture on our FB page:) We upload supplied images like this during snow season. Tower shots are great :)
Ajays Snow Country Sports (03) 9720 4647 at 115 Canterbury Road, Heathmont + EMC (03) 9817 1477 at 68 Whitehorse Road, Deepdene have chain hire and other snow gear.
Half way up Mt Donna the rainforest gallery is a simple stop and walk out on the viewing platform - or a short 200-300m walk around a truly living rainforest. At the very top - the tower at the summit delivers awesome views.
Add that to a stroll around the Yarra River in Warburton or one of the other things to do - and have a nice day out with friends and family
How to get to Mt Donna Buang? Drive to Warburton on the Warburton Highway, stay on the Warburton highway through Warburton, go past the service station and IGA, past the Seventh Day Adventist Church, over a small bridge and head left at the Warburton Motel sign up the C507 Donna Buang Road. (Within 100m you'll see Yuonga Rd on the left - go past this - just stay on Donna Buang Road)
DRIVE SAFE AND SLOW IN THE SNOW!
'How to drive in snow'? A key component is 'maintain a slow, steady, even driving speed and aim to be as smooth as possible when braking, on corners, when accelerating or braking. More tips here
There is no chains hire available in Warburton or on the mountain - these are usually not needed once the road is graded but conditions can change quickly on the mountain. If you have chains bring them (we recommend EMC in Heathmont and Deepdene)- if you don't - check local conditions before heading up and also drive to conditions.
- The Don Valley Road is usually closed in winter - so drive through Warburton and turn left at the Warburton Motel sign up Donna Buang
- There is no cost to access Mt Donna Buang.
- Visitors are welcome to bring their own toboggans and snow toys. There is no requirement to hire on the mountain or buy locally, although they are both options.
- If it has snow overnight, our constant reminder on this page is wait for the grader to go through - which usually happens mid morning. That process helps clear snow and ice and also removal of any fallen trees AND remember when snow is falling, be extra careful.
- Chains? Not usually needed but a good idea to have. No business in Warburton supplies chains. As a gazetted road, VicRoads maintain and grade snow from the roads and carparks - generally sufficient to get vehicles without chains to the carparks. But if you have chains bring them. Note there is no guarantee that 2WD vehicles will have access to a mountain of snow. Chains and/ or 4WD are best - or seek advice locally about conditions before heading up. As always on any mountain in winter and with snow, take care and watch out for ice! Available to Hire from Ajays in Heathmont and EMC in Deepdene (see above). Chains ARE useful if some parts of road are closed and only accessible by chains (which has happened in past) OR you get snowed in and need to wait for grader. Most locals have never used chains to access snow, but locals are able to be more selective about when to go up. Common sense is a really important ingredient :)
- See driving in snow tips (CarsGuide.com.au)
- Dogs & other pets are not permitted in the National Park that Mt Donna Buang is in.
- Check weather closures - we post these if received from Parks VIC or other authority.
- Local 'official' Warburton and Mt Donna Buang sites do not communicate with each other and usually rely on one morning—or midday or later—report from a local trader for info. Warburtoninfo.com trys to speed up this information delivery and brings together multiple sources of information AND your FB picture posts and reports. Warburtoninfo.com started online reports in 2009, so we have the experience and a commitment to provide independent and unbiased information. The community sharing vibe on our FB page helps us update and spread up to date info. Thanks all for your involvement :)
Weather permitting, Mt Donna Buang is a great day trip and good for a drive up the mountain to the Rainforest Gallery nature walk and viewing platform, which is almost exactly half way up Mt Donna.
How do we get our info?
We don't have a snow cam and rely on people up the mountain and vistor reporting. Yes, it's a bit old school, but it's also a bit magical and that old fashioned 'seek and ye shall find' approach. So between yours truly (WarbyInfo editor) on this page, his wife doing volunteer admin on the Warby Info Facebook page, Parks VIC, other local and online resources and people like you - we try and assemble the best info we can - without having to run up the mountain every 5 mins :)