COMPLETED: January 18, 2015 - Yarra Ranges Donkey Festival - Ph: (03) 5966909
Gates open to the public at 9am, and demonstrations start at 9.30am.
Entry $5 per adult, $2 per child or $10 per family.
All funds raised go the the Donkey Society of Victoria and the Upper Yarra SES.
This event began as a way of introducing the community to donkeys and educating people about donkey needs and donkey welfare. It is also showing people that donkeys are not deserving of being the butt of every ass joke, but that they are the most charming and humble, loving creature. The Donkey Society of Victoria do a number of donkey rescues each year, many of which have been caused by a lack of understanding or education, and that is what prompted me to organise the event. I then had an overwhelming response from people who just want to come along and meet and experience donkeys and show them to their children. Now it is becoming the most fabulous celebration of the donkey ever. It is an event that is growing and growing as we get closer to the day. Lots of people are talking about it, and people will be coming from all over Victoria and some from interstate just to be a part of it or just to come and enjoy it.
There will be:
- Show classes to suit every size, experience and breed of donkey
- Fun events including obstacle course for led, ridden and driven donkeys
- A fancy dress event – Dress up yourself and your donkey
- Presentations in equine care and health, including:
9.30am – Sue Martin – Natural Equine Health
10.30am - James Harvey – Equine Dentist
11.10am - Kim Johnson - Yarra Ranges Vet Clinic
12.00noon - Andrew Bowe – Barefoot Blacksmith – Farrier
12.45pm - Kitty Byrnes – Brilliant Donkey Trainer
There will also be:
- A diverse variety of market stalls, from stained glass, and art and craft, to childrens' toys and clothing, leather work, saddlery, property equipment, essential oils, cards, socks, plants and seeds. Save your pennies and come support the stall holders who are supporting us.
- Delicious food vendors, including awesome coffee, tasty icecream, gelati, popcorn, fairy floss, sausage sizzle, steak sandwhiches, and the best vegie burgers you have ever tasted !
- Childrens' entertainment, donkey rides, face painting, childrens' activities.
- Raffles, Prizes, Competitions
- Live music over lunch, and a great 1950's live band "Play House" to finish
Linda Jay – (while on site I will be on mobile number 0409 664 074)
Festival Co-ordinator and Yarra Ranges Area Representative for the Donkey Society of Victoria
email : email@example.com